AmigaActive (1053/2143)

From:Neil Bothwick
Date:14 May 2000 at 00:22:12
Subject:Re: PFS2 - 3 Upgrade (Long)

Duncan Gibb said,

> On 13-May-00, tim@ramjam.u-net.com wrote:

> t> The space isn't taken by the .deldir directory, it's taken by PFS3's
> t> internal directory blocks. PFS3 allocates these at format time, while
> t> FFS allocates them as it needs them. Although it may seem that the
> t> PFS3 partiton is smaller as a result, it will actually hold more data
> t> as the directory structure is more space efficient.

> Hmmm.... I'm sceptical about this. I recent-ishly migrated my A4000 from
> FFS to PFS3. It has several 768MB partitions (a convenient size for burning
> CDs). One was very nearly full when I migrated it. I "copy clone"d all the
> files onto another FFS partition of the same size, did the PFS3 biz and
> tried to copy everything back. The files didn't fit.

My experience was the opposite. I was unable to copy all the files from
a PFS formatted ZIP disk to a FFS formatted disk.

The PFS disk reported 88MB free when formatted and held 88MB of files.
The FFS disk reported 95MB and held 86-87MB of files.

Each file saved under FFS uses an extra filesystem block for its header
information, plus the directory tables are built as files are written.

The way that PFS creates the directory tables when formatting the disk
accounts in part for the increased speed of directory operations,
including file deletion.

Neil

Neil Bothwick - New Media Editor, Amiga Active Magazine
Connected via Wirenet - http://www.wire.net.uk
The UK's first Amiga-only internet access provider

Programmer (n): A red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing
with inanimate objects.

Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com: